A passage from the Codex Victrix, said to have been written by Lucius Secundius Davidis, primus pilus of Cohors I of Legio XX Valeria Victrix, stationed in what is now Chester.
- A loose translation.
- Frater Dulcis: I cannot wait to attend the munerae today! Then I shall play at latrunculi all day. What a useless piece of shit I shall be!
- Alack! These stairs! I have fallen!
- Julius Tartari: I warned you, brother! I prophesied the doom of the stairs!
- Frater Dulcis: O, cruel Fates! The pain continues!
- Julius Tartari: I warned thee, O mortal! I warned thee of the stairs!